Below is a list to help make sure you obtain the correct licensing and appropriate permits to make changes to the property. All permits must be filed with Etrakit, our online system to help assure your project is accessible and managed well.
City Clerk’s Office – each Westminster business will go through multiple steps before the approval is given to the City Clerk’s Office to issue a license that allows your business to operate legally within the City of Westminster. The full process could take up to 4 weeks.
City of Westminster
4800 W 92nd Ave.
Westminster, CO 80031
City Clerk’s Office
Westminster Business Licensing
Application will be routed to the following divisions for review and approval, pending the type of license you are submitting for. NOTE: All divisions must approve the issuance of a license before a business can legally operate.
Planning Division – this will determine, based on current zoning ordinances, if the business description provided in box 61 of the application is an “allowed use” at the intended business address.
- New Construction or exterior renovations to an existing building, an Official Development Plan (ODP) must be approved by the City.
- Signage: Signage is regulated by the City of Westminster Municipal Code, Title 11, Chapter 11 here. In addition to this Code, signage may also be regulated by a sign program in the Official Development Plan.
For more information, please contact:
Westminster Community Development
Building Division – this will determine that the business meetings the required building codes to operate the type of business described. To ensure compliance, the division may also do a site inspection. Site inspections will typically be performed on all new builds, remodels, assembly uses, and automotive repair facilities. Someone from the Building Division will contact a business representative directly to schedule a licensing inspection if one is needed for the approval. The issuance of a business license does not take the place of, or mean that the applicant does not need to obtain a building permit for construction work. Building permits are required for most building construction activities, including any plumbing, mechanical or electrical work.
Find our online permitting here
Link to building permit fee schedule here
- Permits needed: Building permit will include water/sewer tap. Irrigation tap, fire suppression, signs, fences and retaining walls will require a separate permit if applicable.
- Timeline for new construction building review first comments will be within 6 weeks.
Tenant finish/remodel: Building permits will be required for any modifications or improvements to the building. It is recommended that you work with a design professional or architect if you are not familiar with construction practices. If changing anything on the exterior or roof or adding outside seating area will require authorization from the planning dept.
- Permits needed: Building permit may include additional water tap fees. Irrigation tap, fire suppression, signs, fences and retaining walls will require a separate permit if applicable.
- Timeline for tenant finish building review first comments will be within 4 weeks depending on the complexity of the project.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org – 303.658.2075
Online permitting system, eTRAKiT
Westminster Community Development
Fire Department – this will address any safety concerns as well as fire code compliance. This applies to new and existing buildings, tenant improvements, change of occupancies, and residential uses. The use, modification, or additional of required fire protection systems will be reviewed. If there is a concern, someone from the Fire Department will contact a business representative directly to schedule a licensing inspection.
For more information, please contact: 303.658.4500
Sales Tax Division – this will ensure the requested reporting frequency in box 64 is appropriate for the type of business indicated. That Division will automatically mail out information to the tax correspondence address provided regarding the collection and remitting of Sales/Use Tax to the city. This mailing will provide the account number generated and the set filing frequency but it does not mean that the issuance of the license has been approved. Any sales tax collected, or use tax due, prior to receiving a city business license must still be remitted timely. A blank sales tax return is on our website.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com – 303.658.2065